Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm Baaaaack

Hello all!

Sorry I haven't posted in eons! I'm a tad ashamed to admit it, but I forgot my password for the blog, and haven't been able to weasle my way back in. (It's embarrassing, I know.) But, loving readers, I'm sure you'll find it in your benevolent natures to forgive me :)

In any event, I have much to catch you up on! School finished up, (cue the Hallelujah chorus) so now I'm enjoying all the fruits of summer (i.e. balmy afternoons spent in the Louisiana heat, mosquitos, sno cones, and of course, an 8 to 5 schedule at work). However, time at the office will also give me plenty of time to get my business done, and to prepare for the fall.

In more exciting news, my sister, Alaina, and I recently got cast in the local theatre's production of The Sound of Music (SOM)! It's been about 7 years since we've been involved with the theatre, so this is a great chance for us to get our feet back in the water, so to speak. We were only cast in the ensemble, (oh, the irony of being a nun...) but we're taking it in stride. After all, it has been a LONG time, and we need to earn our stripes all over again before they can trust us with bigger parts. We're just thrilled to be able to sing on stage again!

However, SOM is just the beginning for me and Alaina. She recently graduated from high school as the VALEDICTORIAN (can you believe it?!) and has decided to come and live with me at LSU next year! We'll be living in the Mass Comm dorms together next year, and oh what an adventure that should be. So naturally, being the hopelessly artistic beings that we are, Alaina and I have already begun to plot the interior design of our dorm room. We're thinking, urban-decay/living-in-your-parents'-basement/vintage/kitschy/tongue-in-cheek/playfully-irreverent. To be frank, the concept we both want is a little tricky to convey, but we have that whole sister-ESP thing and we both get it. And so, in a shameless attempt to procrastinate, here's a little montage of pictures that have the vibe we're going for:



Aren't these window displays from Anthropologie just adorable? I think I could actually make those bird mobiles with some cardstock, fishing line and a ceiling tile!

I just love these antique mirrors, especially when they're grouped together like this! There's actually a little antique shop in St. Francisville that I think I could snag a bunch of mirrors like this for fairly cheap. I also might try to get some mirrors from Walmart and I think I could get the same aged effect by holding a candle to the mirror and burning it maybe... We'll see.


Ok, ok, I know I'm a little paper-happy with these books, but don't you just adore these paper vases? And (again) you can make them! I'm also loving the silhouette too. Maybe I could paint a silhouette of me and Alaina to hang above each of our beds! Obviously I'm feeling a little artsy...



These are just a few pillows from Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie. (I won't lie, the kitty cat one is my favorite!)

I like the quaintness of pressed flowers. It feels very Victorian, don't you think? I especially like the script that's scrawled behind the flowers. Think of some flowers pressed against a page of a book, or on a written letter like this one, then being framed and hung on the wall. Cute, no?(Again, a potential DIY)

For bedding, Alaina and I were thinking very minimalistic, maybe a simple duvet with an interesting texture... like this one, or maybe a pretty comforter, like this one. With simplistic bedding, it lets the decor speak for itself and allows us to create interest with quirky pieces like wall art, pillows, and frames.

Alright, alright, I know we're probably thinking a little too far into this, but give us a break! This will be our first space to live in together! We're just a little excited to have the chance to have a space to call our own. So what do ya'll think of our decor ideas? Do you know of any places that sell decor similar to what we're going for? Let me know your thoughts!

Until next time!

Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © malloryrichard
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com